Getting started with Blog system in X-Cart 5
page last edited on 15 November 2016
This guide assumes that the module Blog system in X-Cart 5 has already been installed and enabled in your store.
To start using a blog system in X-Cart:
- Create a new MySQL user and a new MySQL database for WordPress. For security reasons, we recommend these to be separate from the ones used by X-Cart.
In a web browser, open your X-Cart store’s home page and click “Blog”.
- The page that opens will allow you to install and configure WordPress using an installation wizard. The installation wizard includes two steps: at the first step, the latest version of WordPress will be downloaded to the blog directory within your X-Cart 5 directory (Make sure your X-Cart 5 directory has write permissions!); at the second step, WordPress will be configured and installed.
- Click the button Start the installation:
- Wait for the installation wizard to complete the first step:
- Once the first step is completed, click on “click here” to continue:
A page will be opened in a new tab allowing you to specify the details of your WordPress MySQL database.
Specify your WordPress MySQL database connection details and click Submit to continue:
WordPress will create a file named wp-config.php and will write your MySQL connection details into it. A confirmation message will be displayed as shown below:
Click Run the install to continue.
Note: If the wp-config.php file could not be created automatically, you should create it manually in your WordPress directory and paste the content from the textarea into it:
- On the next page you should enter the title of your blog, as well as the e-mail and password of your WordPress admin user:
Click Install WordPress.
On the Success page, click the Log In button to log in to the WordPress admin area.
In the WordPress admin area, click the blog link at the top of the page to visit your blog page and make sure your blog page is displayed correctly:
For example, if the “Default” skin is used in your X-Cart, the blog should look like this:
- Your store’s visitors will be able to access your blog using the “Blog” link on your store’s Primary menu:
You will be able to access your WordPress admin area using the “Log in” / “Site Admin” link in the right column of your store’s blog page (The link “Site Admin” is displayed when you are already signed in):
- To adjust the way your blog appears in your X-Cart store, use the settings on the module settings page: