page last edited on 30 September 2016
If you have set up carrier-calculated or table-based shipping rates for your products, but want to increase the amount you charge customers for shipping a little bit to cover additional expenses like insurance or packing cost, you can do so by adding a handling fee. In X-Cart 5, handling fee is a fixed surcharge that is applied to orders shipped using a specific shipping method. The handling fee is added at checkout and is merged with your standard shipping rates, so the surcharge remains invisible to the buyers.
To set up a handling fee for some shipping method:
- In your store’s Admin area, go to the Shipping methods section (Store setup > Shipping):
- In the list of your store’s shipping methods, find the method for which you want to add a surcharge.
- Hover the mouse pointer over the line of this shipping method. The Delivery time and Handling fee fields will be highlighted as editable:
- Click inside the Handling fee field and specify the surcharge amount you require.
- Click the Save changes button at the bottom of the screen to save the changes.
The handling fee value will be updated.