Default Customer Address
page last edited on 18 December 2019
When calculating delivery costs and adding tax fees to an order of a registered customer, X‑Cart uses the shipping address stored in the customer account. But what if a customer is not logged in or is just an anonymous buyer, how the would-be tax fees and delivery costs are calculated in this case? X‑Cart uses either the settings defined by the store admin as the default customer address or the data from the Geolocation addon to calculate the average additional fees involved in the purchase and displays these fees to the visitor until they specify the real shipping address at checkout.
Default Customer Address: Manual Setup
The default customer address is specified by the store admin on the Default Customer Address page of the “Cart & Checkout” section of your store Admin area (Store setup -> Cart & Checkout).
The settings that need to be configured on this page are as follows:
- Address line : Define a default customer street address if applicable. This setting is optional.
- Country : Choose a country from the drop-down that you want to be set as a default country for the taxes and shipping calculations for all unregistered customers.
- State : For the countries that have states choose a state from the drop-down that you want to be set as a default state for the taxes and shipping calculations for all unregistered customers.
- City : Define a city or town that you want to be set as a default city for the taxes and shipping calculations for all unregistered customers.
- Zip/postal code : Define the the customer’s postal code, also known as zip, postcode, Eircode, etc. that should be used as a default postal code for the taxes and shipping calculations for all unregistered customers.
- Address type : Select the address type from a drop-down. You can choose between residential and commercial types of address.
After adjusting all the settings you require, click Submit to make the configuration active.
Provided that shipping and taxes have been configured for the default customer address zone, any customer who is not logged in will see the tax and delivery rates as they have been configured for the default customer address zone both on the cart page and at checkout before the actual address is entered:
Default Customer Address: Geolocation addon
If you need the default customer address to be more flexible and match the actual customer’s location, it is possible to use the facilities of the “Geolocation addon” instead of the manually preconfigured default customer address.
With the “Geolocation” addon enabled, the default customer address will be determined based on the customer IP:
For more info on the “Geolocation” addon, see the section Geolocation Addon in our Knowledge Base.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.