Default Customer Address
page last edited on 18 December 2019
When calculating delivery costs and adding tax fees to an order of a registered customer X‑Cart uses the shipping address recorded in the customer account. But what if a customer is not logged in or is just an anonymous buyer, how the would-be tax fees and delivery costs are calculated in this case? X‑Cart uses either the settings defined by a store admin as a default customer address or the data from the Geolocation addon integration to calculate the average additional fees involved in the purchase and displays these extra charges to a visitor until they specify the real shipping address at checkout.
Default Customer Address: Manual Setup
The default customer address is specified by a store admin on the Default Customer Address page of the “Cart & Checkout” section of your store Admin area (Store setup -> Cart & Checkout).
The settings that a store admin needs to define on this page are as follows:
- Address line : Define a default customer street address if applicable. This setting is optional.
- Country : Choose a country from the drop-down that you want to be set as a default country for the taxes and shipping calculations for all unregistered customers.
- State : For the countries that have states choose a state from the drop-down that you want to be set as a default state for the taxes and shipping calculations for all unregistered customers.
- City : Define a city or town that you want to be set as a default city for the taxes and shipping calculations for all unregistered customers.
- Zip/postal code : Define the the customer’s postal code, also known as zip, postcode, Eircode, etc. that should be used as a default postal code for the taxes and shipping calculations for all unregistered customers.
- Address type : Select the address type from a drop-down. You can choose between residential and commercial types of address.
When all the settings are defined it is nessecary to click Submit to make the configuration active.
Provided shipping and taxes have been configured by a store admin for the zone set as a default customer address, any not logged in customer will see the corresponding tax and delivery rates both on the cart page and at checkout before the rela address is defined:
Default Customer Address: Geolocation addon
If you need the default customer address to be more flexible and match the actual customer’s location, it is possible to use the facilities of the “Geolocation addon” instead of a manually predefined customer address, that is enabled by default in X-Cart 5.4.x.
With the “Geolocation” addon enabled the default address customer will be defined by a customer IP:
For more info on the “Geolocation” addon setup see the Geolocation Addon manual of our Knowledge Base.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.