Configuring Amazon S3 Signed URLs
page last edited on 02 May 2018
Starting with the E-goods addon version 220.127.116.11, it is possible to use Amazon S3 to store files for downloadable products.
This feature enables you to save server space and restrict access to valuable files (such as proprietary MP3s) only to those customers who have made a purchase.
In order to make use of the off-site storage feature, the store administrator will need to follow the steps below:
In the IAM section of the Amazon Web Services Console, create a user with the Programmatic access option enabled:
At the step Permissions, create a new group for the user or assign the user to an existing group. For this group, enable the policies
Review the user details. If all is correct, click Next.
At the step Complete, locate your AWS access key and AWS secret key; you will need to copy and paste them into the appropriate fields on the E-goods addon settings page in your X-Cart store.
In your X-Cart store Admin area, adjust the settings in the section Amazon Signed URLs of the E-goods addon settings page:
- Enable usage of Presigned URLs for Amazon S3 links: Enable this setting. As a result, you will be able to access the fields for your Amazon S3 credentials (They will be shown below).
- Amazon access key: Copy and paste the AWS access key you have obtained from Amazon.
- Amazon secret key: Copy and paste the AWS secret key you have obtained from Amazon.
- S3 Bucket name: Copy and paste your S3 bucket name (You can get it from the S3 section of AWS).
The same credentials can be used in the Amazon S3 addon by X-Cart team.
Save the changes. This will connect your AWS account with your X-Cart store.
Here’s how it can be done:
- Once a file has been uploaded onto S3, copy the URL of that file.
- In X-Cart, find the product for which you wish to add this file as a downloadable attachment.
- On the Attachments tab of the product details, select Add file -> Via URL.
- In the Upload file box, paste the URL that has been copied from S3 and un-check the box Copy file to local server.
- Click Upload.
As a result, the product will be linked to the S3-stored file that has been specified.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.