page last edited on 21 February 2018
If you sale worldwide it makes sense to use the addon Multicurrency to make purchases for your international customers easier. Allowing customers to shop in their native currency provides a more consistent and positive shopping experience and can encourage the overall store conversion.
- Multicurrency Addon Overview
- Multicurrency Addon Setup
- Customer Experience
Multicurrency Addon Overview
When considering using the addon, keep in mind that the Multicurrency addon supports the display-only type of currencies. This means that it allows to convert prices and all product-related costs from a default currency into a customer native currency and display it in the storefront and at checkout. All transactions in X-Cart, however, will be processed in a default store currency regardless of the currency used by a customer to place an order.
The Multicurrency addon works in a bundle with the addon Geolocation that uses a free “GeoLite2 Country” database by MaxMind.
The “GeoLite2 Country” database allows to define a customer’s location accurate to a country. If you need higher accuracy, you can upload other databases on the Geolocation addon settings page.
Multicurrency Addon Setup
Before configuring the Multicurrency addon, please ensure that the addon Geolocation is installed and enabled.
To enable the Multicurrency addon, follow the instructions from Installing Addons from the X-Cart App Store.
Configuring the Addon General Settings
Once the Multicurrency addon has been installed, it adds a possibility to enable several currencies on the Currincies page of Store setup -> Localization section of your store Admin area.
The addon extends the default currency settings with the following options:
- Online currency rates service : Choose a currency converter or set to NONE to define the conversion rates manually.
- Currency converter API key : Specify your currency converter API key here.
- Update online rates every : Set a periodicity of the rates revision.
When the main settings are configured click Save changes and proceed to adding extra currencies to the list of available for display in the storefront.
Configuring Multiple Currencies
To complete the Multicurrency addon set-up use the Add currency drop-down and button to enable as many display-only currencies in the storefront as you may need.
To add a new currency to the list:
- Open the Currencies page in the Store setup -> Localization section of your store Admin area
- Choose a currency code you want to add in a drop-down;
- Click the Add currency button.
Editing Currency Properties
Each new currency is added to the list of currencies available for display in the storefront with a number of properties reset. A list of currencies may look as follows:
A store admin can edit the following properties:
- Format : A format of the currency representation in the storefront. To change the format a store admin should use the options from the related drop-down.
- Prefix : A currency prefix. The value is defined automatically for each currency. If it is necessary to change the value, click inside the field and type the required value instead of a predefined one.
- Suffix : A currency suffix. The value is defined automatically for each currency. If it is necessary to change the value, click inside the field and type the required value instead of a predefined one.
- Rate : A currency exchange rate. The value can be either preset provided the Online currency rates service and Currency converter API key general addons settings are configured accordingly, or set up manually by a store admin. To change the exchnage rate click inside the field and enter the value required.
- Countries : Each new currency is added with a pre-set list of countries it’s applicable to. A store admin can add or remove the countries from the list of assigned to a currency by clicking into the ‘Countries’ field and choosing the necessary countries from the drop-down. Each country can be assigned to one currency only.
A store admin can also:
- Re-order currencies in the list using the Cross icon to drag-n-drop (this will affect the order of currencies display in the currency drop-down in the storefront):
- Enable/Disable currencies in the list using the ON/OFF icon opposite a currency in question:
Change the default currency for the store using a special selector:
If you change the default store currency don’t forget to update the rates using the ‘Update Rates’ button for the prices to be displayed correctly.
- Delete currencies from the list using the Trash icon opposite a currency in question:
Use the Save changes button to make the new settings active.
When installed and configured, the addon in action will look as follows in the storefront:
A customer will see the currency and the language of the country his IP belongs to. If there are no particular currency and translation defined for the customers location the store content will be displayed in the default currency and language.
The currency that will be used for orders processing will depend on the payment gateway configured in the store. Some payments allow orders processing only in the default store currency. Others allow to accept payments in more than one currency. Please, check with your payment processing company for details.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.