PIN Codes Module: Admin Experience
page last edited on 11 May 2018
Adding Products with PIN Codes
Adding a product with PIN codes is similar to adding an ordinary product described in Adding products. The only difference is that you must also generate PIN codes for the product using the PIN Codes tab on the Product details page in the Admin/Provider area.
To add a PIN code to a product:
- Create, import or clone a product as described in Adding products.
- In the Info tab of the Product details page locate the Shipping section and disable shipping for the product.
- At the Product details page, locate the PIN Codes tab and enable PIN codes for the product.
- Once enabled, you can add PIN codes to product:
- AUTOMATICALLY If you choose automatic PIN codes generation X-Cart will autogenerate a 16-digit numeric code that will be sent to a customer after an order is paid.
If you choose manual PIN codes generation you’ll have 2 options:
- Add codes manually
- Click the ‘Add pin codes’ button
- Type the PIN codes you need in a pop-up
- Click ‘Add pin codes’
- Import codes via CSV
- Click the ‘Import from CSV file’ button
- Choose the file to import in a pop-up
- Click ‘Upload’
Manual PIN codes are limited to 64-digit alphanumeric code
- Add codes manually
- Save the changes.
Afterwards you’ll be able to trace used PINs and delete unused (for manually-generated PINs only) if required:
Your store customers can pay for products with PIN codes, using any of the available payment options, including both online and offline methods.
In case the Approve before providing access option is enabled PIN codes doesn’t become vailable to customers right after an order is placed. Such orders get a Waiting for approve fulfilment status.
A PIN code becomes available after a store admin changes the order fulfilment status to any other except for Will not deliver provided that the order is paid (payment status is paid). If the cart admin changes the order fulfilment status to Will not deliver the customer will not get the PIN code. More info on the order statuses you can find in Understanding X-Cart order statuses.
Once an order is processed, a store admin can check the PINs sold in the PIN codes tab of the Order details page:
Due to the specificity of how digital products are delivered, the PIN Codes module enables you to have more control of how orders with PIN codes are processed:
- you can disable all online payment methods, which mostly work for automatic order processing;
- you can choose to enable only those payment methods that require manual processing;
- you can choose the payments that allow using the “auth only” mode.
The “auth only” option means that a payment gateway does not really withdraw the order total from a customer’s credit card, but it only checks whether the sum is available and temporarily freezes this money until a later time, which is limited by the terms and conditions of the payment gateway. The store administrator can then either capture the authorized amount or void it. As soon as the reserved money is captured, the order gets processed and a download link becomes available in X-Cart customer account.
Processing orders that contain products with PIN codes using payments with “auth only” mode as well as using other methods that require manual order processing, allows you to filter suspicious and potentially fraudulent orders and approve only trustworthy purchases.
If you are using the PIN Codes module along with X-Payments subscriptions a customer will get an updated PIN code for the product each time a subscription fee is paid.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.