Vendor login and first steps
page last edited on 13 November 2015
From the viewpoint of X-Cart 5 user access levels, a vendor user is an administrator with the role “Vendor”. This means that vendors are allowed to log in to the store’s back end, but have access only to a limited set of features (This is called a “Vendor area”).
After a vendor account has been registered (see Vendor registration), the vendor can log in to their personal Vendor area using any user login form in the store. For example, they can use:
- the regular Sign in/Sign up form for customers,
- the URL for administrator users:
- the URL for vendors:
http://<your-domain>/<x-cart-5-directory>needs to be replaced with the actual address of your X-Cart 5 store).
After logging in, the vendor will see a page similar to the following:
Now the vendor can start selling. The steps below will get them started:
If a vendor onboarding welcome message has been provided by the storefront operator (similar to the one in the screenshot above, titled “Welcome to our marketplace”), the vendor should read the message and follow the instructions provided therein.
The vendor should check the information in their user profile and see if anything needs to be added or corrected. See Managing vendor profile information as a vendor.
The vendor should populate the catalog with the products they are going to sell. See Managing the catalog as a vendor for information on how vendors can add products to the catalog manually. See Vendor import/export for information on how vendors can add products using CSV import. Information on the use of product classes and attributes by vendors can be found in the section Vendor access to product classes and attributes.
- If the store is set to work in the “Vendors as separate shops” multivendor mode:
The vendor must specify the address from which their products will be shipped. This address will be used to calculate the cost of delivery of an order from the vendor’s warehouse to the buyer. See Managing vendor profile information as a vendor
The vendor must specify the shipping methods they are going to use. See Managing shipping methods as a vendor.
(In “Warehouse” mode, the products of different vendors are shipped from the same warehouse, so the “ship-from” address and shipping methods are the same for all the vendors; the configuration of the “ship-from” address and shipping methods in this case is done by the store administrator.)
- If, according to the store’s Multi-vendor configuration settings, vendors have been given the responsibility to collect sales tax on their own sales, and an automated sales tax calculation solution like AvaTax or TaxJar is used by the store, the vendor must check the Financial details section in their profile (My account > Financial details) and ensure that all the US states in which they are going to do business and which pertain to their nexus (and only those states) are listed in the “US tax calculation” settings section. This is needed to ensure that tax calculation requests to AvaTax/TaxJar are sent properly for the vendor. Note that failure to specify the states in the Financial details section properly may result in the store’s failure to send tax calculation requests to AvaTax/TaxJar for the vendor’s products.
For more information on the usage of AvaTax Sale Tax Automation with X-Cart Multivendor, see AvaTax Sales Tax Automation: Usage with Multivendor.
If the option to create coupons and discounts has been enabled for the vendor by the store administrator, the vendor can create coupons and discounts for their products. See Coupons: Usage with Multivendor and Volume Discounts: Usage with Multivendor.
Once customers start buying products owned by the vendor, the vendor will be able to view the orders via the Orders section. They will also have access to sales statistics including their order statistics and best selling products. See Vendor access to orders and statistics.
- With every purchase of the vendor’s products, the vendor’s earnings will be accumulated on the vendor’s earning balance. As soon as a sufficient amount of money has been accumulated on the vendor’s earning balance, the vendor will be able to request a payout of the money due to them. See Requesting a payout of one’s earnings as a vendor.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.