Managing Orders in X-Cart
page last edited on 29 March 2018
Order management refers to the process of receiving, tracking, and fulfilling customer orders. The order management process begins when an order is placed, and ends when the customer receives their package.
X-Cart allows to trace all orders placed in your store in one single place - the order listing page (Orders -> Order List section) where a store admin can manage them accordingly. The order processing workflow for a store admin will differ depending on the payment method used by a customer to pay for the order.
- Order Listing Page
- Order Processing Workflow
- Advanded Order Management
Order Listing Page
X-Cart order listing page (Orders -> Order List section) accumulates the info on all orders placed in your store, displays the actual order list and allows to bulk-edit orders.
The order listing page allows a store admin to view the following order details:
- Order number : The number of an order. Orders are numbered sequentially, starting from the value set in the Next order #: field in the store’s General settings.
- Date : The date and the time the order was placed at.
- Customer : The name and the email address of a customer (by clicking on the customer name a store admin will be redirected to the user profile page).
- Payment status : The current payment status of an order. See more info in Understanding X-Cart Order Statuses.
- Fulfilment status : The current fulfilment status of an order. See more info in Understanding X-Cart Order Statuses.
- Amount : The order total and the amount of items ordered.
In case an order was paid via an online payment processor the order payment status is updated automatically at the time X-Cart receives the order related info from the payment processor.
In case an order was paid via an offlne mayment method a store admin will have to manually update the order payment status each time it changes.
An order fulfilment status must be manually updated by a store admin each time the order progresses in the fulfilment chain.
Advanced Orders Search
The orders listing page has an advanced search panel where a store admin can filter orders to work with according to several paramethers (order ID range, date, payment and fulfilment statuses, customer name, etc.).
The chosen search parameters can then be saved and displayed along with the preset filters on the top of the page.
The order listing page provides a store admin with the means of bulk-editing orders.
First of all, a store admin can change the payment and/or fulfilment statuses on a per order basis. To do so the store admin should select the appropriate payment and/or fulfilment statuses in the related drop-down and click Save changes to submit the changes.
In case changes are to be applied to more than one order at a time a store admin can select the orders to be updated by enabling a check-box opposite the order in question and use the bulk-editing panel on the bottom of the page for alterations.
The options for bulk edit are:
- Print selected : A store admin can either print an invoice or a packing slip on their choice.
- Change payment status for selected : The payment status should be changed only for the orders placed using offline payment methods. The payment status for the orders paid via online payment processors is updated automatically.
- Change fulfilment status for selected : The fulfilment status should be updated respectively each time an order progresses in the fulfilment chain regardless of the payment method used.
- Delete selected
Each time an order is updated a customer receives a special email notification. More info on the email notifications you can find in Email Notifications: Setup and Maintenance.
The bulk-editing tool also allows exporting orders into CSV directly on the orders listing page. Use the ‘Export all: CSV’ button for this purpose or select the orders that should be exported and click Export selected: CSV.
Order Processing Workflow
X-Cart allows paying orders using both offline and online payment methods depending on the store owner preferences.
Orders Paid via Offline Payment Methods
For orders paid using offline payment methods, the order processing workflow is as follows:
- A new order is created with the status Awaiting payment.
- As the order progresses through the various stages of the order processing and fulfilment process, the store administrator manually updates the order status. The current status of the order can be changed manually to any other status at any time. Typically, after the order payment has been received, the status Awaiting payment will be changed to Paid; if the order is cancelled - to Cancelled. After a refund, the status Paid will have to be changed to Refunded. The status Partially Paid is possible in case of a partial payment for the order or a partial refund.
We strongly recommend using the Refunded status (not Cancelled) when updating the order status from Paid, and Cancelled (not Refunded) when updating the order status from Authorized or Awaiting payment.
Orders Paid via Online Payment Processors
For orders paid using online payment processors, the regular order processing workflow looks as follows:
- A new order is created with the status Awaiting payment, Paid or Authorized - depending on the payment method settings and the type of response received from the payment gateway.
- If the initial order status is Awaiting Payment or Authorized, it may be changed automatically to Paid, Partially Paid or Declined (The resulting status depends on the callback received from the payment gateway).
- If the order status is Paid, the order may be refunded. This is only possible if the payment gateway supports refunds. After a full refund, the order status is automatically changed to Refunded. After a partial refund, the order status becomes Partially Paid.
- If necessary, the store administrator can intervene at any stage of the order processing flow and manually change the current status of the order to any status they require.
Advanded Order Management
For advanced order management, a store admin should open the order details page by clicking on the order number (e.g. #0009).
The General info tab of the order details page provides the tools for a store admin to adjust all or some order details:
- Customer e-mail address : A store admin can change the customer email. The info will be changed for this order only.
- Staff note : Notes can be added in the field for comments. The notes will be visible for the store staff only.
- Payment method : Payment method can be changed for offline payment methods only.
- Shipping method : Shippping method can be changed for any shipping method.
- Billing address : A store admin can change the customer’s billing address. The info will be changed for this order only.
- Shipping address : A store admin can change the customer’s shipping address. The info will be changed for this order only.
- Fulfilment status : A store admin can change the order filfillment status to any available from the frop-down.
- Payment status : A store admin can change the order filfillment status to any available from the frop-down.
- Tracking number : If applicable a store admin can add a tracking number to the order.
To add a tracking number:
- click on the ‘Add tracking number’ button;
- add the required tracking number in the new line (a tracking number can have up to 32 symbols);
- click Save changes (or it is possible to save changes when all required order details have been adjusted).
- Order items : A store admin can change the price and the quantity of the ordered items and add new products to the order.
- Discount : A store admin can add a discount coupon by clicking the Add coupon link or a cash discount.
- Shipping cost : A store admin can change the shipping cost applied to the order.
- Gift wrapping : If the Gift Wrapping option is turned ON a store admin can add a gift wrapping cost to the order.
If changes are applied to the order items and associated costs, the admin must first click the ‘Recalculate totals’ button and save changes after that.
If no changes to the costs are applied, the admin can save changes right away.
A store admin can choose whether to inform a customer on the changes applied to the order or not. By default, customers recieve notifications on all changes applied to their orders in accordance with the general notifications set-up. For more info on the email notifications see Email Notifications: Setup and Maintenance.
In case a store admin does not want to inform a customer about the changes applied to the order, it will be necessary to enable the Don’t notify customer check-box BEFORE saving changes.
All changes applied to an order are recorded in the order history that can be viewed on top of the order details page.
Click the View order history link to display the info.
The order history includes the info on all notifications sent to both a store admin and a customer with a possibility to check the text of the notification. To see the text it is necessary to click on the + icon opposite a notification.
The invoice for an order can be viewed in the Invoice tab of the order details page:
Any changes applied to an order will automatically result in the order invoice alteration.
To print an invoice it is necessary to click the Print invoice button at the top of the order details page.
The Messages tab of the order details page can be used if it is necessary to send notes about an order to a customer.
For the detailed guides on how to communicate with customers via the order messages see Order Messages.
Packing slips provide important details about the order contents and are a great way to communicate what has been sent to the customer.
To print packing slips it is necessary to click the Print packing slip button at the top of the order details page.
For the detailed guides on how to use packing slips in X-Cart see Packing Slips.
Order returns become an available feature for a store admin in case the Order Returns addon is installed and enabled.
A store admin can create a return or work with a return request from a customer in the Create return or Order return tab of the order details page (the tab name will differ depending on the action to be perfromed):
For the detailed guides on how to process returns in X-Cart see Order Returns.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.