page last edited on 25 July 2018
To add a new category in an X-Cart store catalog:
Go to the Categories section of your store Admin area (Catalog > Categories).
Click the New Category button.
In the field that will appear, enter the category name you require.
You’ll see the category you’ve just created in the list. Categories are displayed on the store home page in the order of appearance in the list, so change the category position if necessary.
To edit the category further, click on the category name. Use the fields in the Category Info tab to provide information about the category. The only required fields are Category name and Parent category.
Category information that can be specified:
- Category name: The name by which you and your customers will identify this category.
- Parent category: The category to which this category belongs (if it’s a subcategory). If this is a main category let is belong to the root category (i.e. to be displayed on the home page).
- Show category title: Choose if you want the category to be visible or hidden from the customers.
- Category image: Use this section to add an image of the category.
- Top banner: Use this section to add a banner of the category.
- Description: A cateory description that will be displayed on the category details page.
- Clean URL: The category page Clean URL (for SEO purposes).
- Category page title: The title to be used in the title bar of this category details page (for SEO purposes). If the field is left blank the category name will be used as Page Title.
- Meta keywords: The keywords to be used in the keywords META tag on the category page (for SEO purposes).
- Meta description: The description to be used in the description META tag on the category page (for SEO purposes).
- Open Graph meta tags: The custom META tags for sharing the category page on Facebook.
- Memberships: Membership levels to which this category should be available. Non-members and users belonging to other membership levels will not be able to see the category on the storefront.
- Enabled: Whether the category should be displayed on the storefront. Uncheck this option to temporarily remove the category from the storefront (Store visitors will not be able to see it).
- Classes for product filter: Define what attributes will be included into the product filter block on a category page in the store front-end
Click Update to save the changes.
To add a subcategory you should do almost all the same as to add a category, as a subcategory is a category in fact but of a lower level. So go to the Subcategories tab on the category details page, click the New Category button and follow the procedure described above.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.