page last edited on 30 September 2016
If you have set up carrier-calculated or table-based shipping rates for your products, but want to increase the amount you charge customers for shipping a little bit to cover additional expenses like insurance or packing cost, you can do so by adding a handling fee. In X-Cart 5, handling fee is a fixed surcharge that is applied to orders shipped using a specific shipping method. The handling fee is added at checkout and is merged with your standard shipping rates, so the surcharge remains invisible to the buyers.
To set up a handling fee for some shipping method:
- In your store’s Admin area, go to the Shipping methods section (Store setup > Shipping):
- In the list of your store’s shipping methods, find the method for which you want to add a surcharge.
- Hover the mouse pointer over the line of this shipping method. The Delivery time and Handling fee fields will be highlighted as editable:
- Click inside the Handling fee field and specify the surcharge amount you require.
- Click the Save changes button at the bottom of the screen to save the changes. The handling fee value will be updated.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.