Setting up sales tax
page last edited on 30 October 2016
This article explains how to set up and enable sales tax calculation using the Sales Tax module for X-Cart 5.
- Video tutorial
- Before you configure sales tax
- Configuring sales tax
- Setting up sales tax rates
- Enabling/Disabling sales tax calculation
Before you configure sales tax
Ensure that each of the products in your store that needs the sales tax to be applied to has a tax class assigned to it. You can create your custom tax classes or use the “Default tax class” that is assigned to all products by default.
Ensure that your store has all the necessary address zones configured. You will need these zones to use different tax rates based on the customer address.
If you need different tax rates for different customer membership levels, ensure that the necessary user membership levels are set up.
Configuring sales tax
Open the the Sales tax tab of the Taxes section (Store setup > Taxes) in the X-Cart admin area.
Configure the tax options in the Common tax settings section:
- Use the Tax title field to enter a general name describing the type of tax applied to orders in your store. This name will show on your store’s checkout and on your customers’ invoices. Suggested values for this field include Tax, Sales Tax, GST and the like.
- Specify whether tax calculation rules for the tax you are configuring (we’ll come to configuring these rules a bit later) should be the same for all customers, irrespective of their membership, or should they be different depending on the users’ membership. If the rules need to be the same for all buyers, enable the option Use the same tax rates for all user membership levels by selecting the respective check box. If the tax rate calculation will depend on the membership levels, leave this check box unselected.
Use the selectbox titled Address for sales tax calculation to specify the address type your sales tax calculation will be based on. The available options here are Shipping address and Billing address. The address type you select here will be used to determine the customer’s zone, which in its turn will be used to determine the tax rate that needs to be applied.
In the United States, ecommerce businesses are supposed to charge sales tax based on where the product is being shipped to, and not where it was purchased; so, a store shipping within the United States would need to choose the Shipping address option in this field.
Set up one or more tax calculation rules:
If you need tax rates to be applied to the cost of the products in a customer’s order (product subtotal or discounted subtotal), or to the cost of the products plus shipping (subtotal + shipping cost or discounted subtotal + shipping cost), set up tax rates using the General tax rates section:
- Use the Taxable base selector to specify the type of costs that will be the basis of your tax rates calculation.
The available options are as follows:
- Subtotal + Shipping cost;
- Discounted subtotal + Shipping cost;
- Discounted subtotal;
- Individual settings for every rate.
For example, if you select “Discounted subtotal + Shipping cost”, your tax rate amounts will be calculated as percentages of the sum of the product subtotal after the application of discounts and the estimated product shipping cost.
If you need multiple tax rates calculated based on different types of costs, select the last option - Individual settings for every rate. Selecting this option adds a selector with the first four options from the above list for each of your tax rates allowing you to specify a taxable base for every tax rate individually.
- In the General tax rates section below, add the tax rates you require. For more info, see the section “Setting up your sales tax rates” further in this article.
- Use the Taxable base selector to specify the type of costs that will be the basis of your tax rates calculation. The available options are as follows:
If you need tax rates to be applied to shipping charges follow the steps described in Shipping Tax.
Make sure sales tax calculation is enabled in your store. This is controlled by the On/Off button to the right of the Tax title field. When the sales tax calculation is enabled, the On/Off icon on the button is green.
Click the Save changes button at the bottom of the page to save the changes.
Setting up sales tax rates
You need to set up sales tax rates to configure your sales tax. Depending on whether you need to set up general tax rates or tax rates that apply to shipping charges, use the appropriate section: General tax rates or Tax rates on shipping cost. The procedure for setting up general tax rates and tax rates on shipping cost is essentially the same:
Click the New rate button.
In the section that expands below, provide information about your new sales tax rate:
- Zone: Specify the address zone the tax rate should be applied to. The tax rate will be applied to the orders of the customers whose address belongs to the selected address zone. Whether it is their Billing or Shipping address depends on the option selected in the Address for sales tax calculation field in Common Tax Settings.
- Tax class: Specify the type of products (tax class) the tax rate should be applied to.
If you select the Default tax class option here, the tax rate will be applied to all the products that have the default tax class assigned.
- User membership: Specify the user membership level the tax rate should be applied to. The option Ignore membership allows you to create a tax rate that will be applied to all orders irrespective of the buyer’s membership.
“User membership” column becomes available when the “Use the same tax rates for all user membership levels” option in Common Tax Settings is disabled.
Taxable base: Specify the type of costs your tax rate calculation should be based on.
The “Taxable base” column becomes available for general tax rates when the option Individual settings for every rate is selected in the “Taxable base” field in Common Tax Settings. It’s not possible to specify the taxable base for the Tax rates on shipping cost, because in this case the taxable base is always the same: the cost of shipping.
- Rate: Specify the tax rate amount as a percentage of the selected taxable base.
- If necessary, use the New rate button to add rows for more tax rates. Complete the fields in each row as you require.
- Click the Save changes button at the bottom of the page to save the changes.
Enabling/Disabling sales tax calculation
Once configured and enabled, sales tax calculation can be disabled/re-enabled using the On/Off button to the right of the Tax title field on the Sales tax panel in the Taxes section (Store setup > Taxes). When sales tax calculation is enabled, the On/Off icon on the button is green. When it is disabled, the icon is grey.
Help make this document better
This guide, as well as the rest of our docs, are open-source and available on GitHub.